Full-Time Organic Research Chemist
ARA – Avanti Rx Analytics Inc. is Canadian Controlled Substances Contract Organization offering analytical, extraction, formulation, packaging services to its national and international clients.
We have a great team of highly educated, experienced, passionate, and committed personnel.
We offer a highly competitive salary, medical insurance plan, and exceptional career development, and “the satisfaction that comes from knowing that the services we provide and the products we produce will improve the quality of human lives”.
We are currently looking for a highly motivated, experienced Organic Research Chemist to join our team.
- Understanding and working knowledge of cGMP principles, company’s standard operating procedures (SOPs), and regulatory requirements.
- Demonstrated sound knowledge of organic extraction processes and isolation techniques.
- Ability to perform routine synthesis and develop effective extraction processes using multiple pieces of equipment.
- Excellent theoretical and working knowledge of distillation.
- Excellent working knowledge of analytical techniques supporting synthesis, extraction and distillation, like TLC, Column Chromatography, IR, GC, GC/MS, NMR, etc.
- Managing hazardous waste as defined by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency.
- Supporting large scale production (50 – 100 gallon reactors), loading reactors, drum handling, large scale solids handling, filtration and centrifugation.
- Ability to follow written instructions (SOPs, test methods, batch documents, etc.) and document results as per applicable requirements.
- Set-up and use of medium scale (22, 50 and 100 liters) glass apparatus, large scale rotary evaporation.
- Performing water and solvent washing of chromatography resins/gels.
- Designing and evaluating synthetic routes for new compounds.
- Providing R&D support, process improvement, scale-up, cost reductions and safety improvements.
- Achieving production goals relative to Safety, Quality, Delivery and Cost.
- Competently planning, executing and documenting synthetic complex extraction processes.
- Reporting conclusions from data/results and communicating to management.
- Identifying instrument/method problems related to synthesis, and ability to troubleshoot with minimal guidance.
- Addressing unexpected outcomes/issues, proposing solutions, and resolve problems.
- Demonstrated technical writing skills for preparing experimental plans, research reports and operating procedures.
- Occasional assistance in other departments such as the formulations lab and packaging may also be required.
- Other duties include cleaning, assembling and disassembling equipment, involvement in process development, occasional assistance in other departments such as the formulations lab and packaging.
- Other tasks as assigned by the ARA senior management.
Education, Experience, Knowledge, and Skills Requirements:
- M.Sc. degree in Chemistry, with minimum 3 years direct Canadian industrial and professional experience in organic synthesis and purification.
- A thorough understanding of organic synthetic chemistry at the professional level
- Advanced experience with general laboratory techniques such as distillation, filtration, column chromatography, TLC, closed transfer, reaction chemistry and crystallization
- Experience with rotary evaporators, vacuum pumps/ovens and small/large scale glassware
- Ability to work with moisture sensitive, controlled, and carcinogenic materials
- Ability to safely handle flammable solvents
- Mechanical aptitude
- Must demonstrate sound communication, writing skills, and interpersonal skills
- Detail oriented
- Excellent decision making and problem solving capability
- Strong verbal and written communication skills for effective interpersonal interactions
- Must contribute to and foster the development of a healthy cooperative environment
- Must be flexible and capable of carrying multiple projects simultaneously
The above positions are only applicable to permanent residence and/or Canadian citizens with a minimum three years of direct Canadian experience. Considering the nature of business a Clean Police Criminal Record is a pre-requisite of employment.
To apply, please reference “Organic Research Chemist” in subject line and submit resume, cover letter and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.