Title: North Division Dining Hall Cook
Employment Status: Contract August to May, No benefits
Start Date: Monday, August 28, 2017
Campus Co-operative Residence Inc. has been in business since 1936 and our mission is to be a thriving co-operative community of students that provides good, quality, affordable housing; a positive living environment; education of its members in the democratic running of the organization.
Working with the Member Services Team and reporting to the Member Services Coordinator, the Dining Hall Cook will positively impact the members’ stay at Campus Co-op by providing nutritious and delicious lunches and dinners for approximately 65-70 student members and staff at a minimal cost and with the assistance of members in the operations of the dining hall, including meal planning, meal preparation, and the overall functioning of the dining hall.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Cook all lunch and dinner meals for members in a timely manner according to the meal schedule, with the assistance of the members who are required to contribute and assist through the completion of dining hall chores.
- Ensure meal preparation happens in a safe and clean environment with member involvement.
- Plan a diverse and interesting menu that suits the needs of the members i.e. meat and vegetarian/vegan options.
- Use fresh/unprocessed ingredients where possible, to keep costs low.
- Ensure leftovers are used or appropriately stored away.
- Use seasonal and local produce, sourcing ethical producers and providers as much as possible.
- Establish good relations with food service and delivery partners.
- Create weekly orders in liaison with the Member Services Coordinator to purchase food for the North Dining Hall.
- Determine kitchen supplies, utensils, equipment, etc. that needs to be purchased.
- Keep an inventory of supplies, utensils, equipment, etc.
Health & Safety
- Ensure all kitchen equipment, including refrigerators, oven, and freezer are kept clean, organized and sanitary at all times.
- Ensure that all kitchen supplies and equipment is clean and in good working order.
- Ensure that kitchen counters, and all surfaces including the floor are sanitized at the end of each day. Ensure that appropriate head and footwear and clothing is being used in the kitchen and during meal preparation by members and staff.
- Ensure that safe food handling practices are taught and being followed during every shift.
- Preparing healthy, nutritious and delicious meals in a budget conscious environment.
- Submit all purchasing receipts to the Member Services Coordinator on a weekly basis.
- Ensure that receipts are submitted for petty cash.
The weekly kitchen or dining hall shifts are requirements for all members living in the North Division of our Co-op. It is the responsibility of the North Dining Hall Cook to ensure that the members’ shifts are engaging and meaningful. Communal meal preparation and consumption is a common way of building community. The person hired for this position must enjoy working with a broad and diverse group of people. Must enjoy educating people in the kitchen by showing, teaching and talking about all aspects of the food.
The successful candidate will have excellent time management skills. Given that this is a collaborative environment between the hired cook and the student members, there are often gaps in labour when students enter mid-terms and finals. When situations such as these occur, it is the responsibility of the cook to ensure that meals are still prepared and ready to be served on-time.
- Keep attendance for shifts and report missed shift to the office.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and assets:
- Grade 12 education or equivalent experience (culinary education an asset)
- Experience preparing food for large groups of people.
- Valid Safe Food Handling Certification.
- Knowledgeable about health and safety regulations and acts.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position – this includes climbing stairs, lifting (up to 50 lbs.), pulling, carrying and pushing and long periods of standing.
- Ability to organize workload.
- Responsible and dependable.
- Excellent listening, written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to relate to a University/College student population.
- Desire to create collaborative meals.
- Respect for diversity amongst members.
- Some knowledge of Housing Co-ops.
The North Dining Hall Cook is accountable to the Member Services Coordinator
Monday, August 28, 2017 to Friday, May 4, 2018
9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday
Total of 37.5 hours per week
Weekend and evening availability, occasionally required for special events
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send your cover letter outlining relevant experiences and resume by Friday, August 11, 2017 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject header: Dining Hall Cook
NOTE: ABSOLUTELY NO PHONE CALLS!
Applicants considered for interview will be contacted the week of August 14th. Anticipated start date Monday, August 28, 2017.
Salary $42,000 pro-rated to 8 months